Sunday, January 27, 2013

Lost eCollector Podcast "Let's Take a Look" interview

A few months back I had a brief Skype interview with Toby Stoobings from the comics podcast eCollector for their "Let's Take a Look" spotlight. Unfortunately the audio files were lost before they could be posted but I did make a transcript prior to that. Here is the interview:

Toby: Hey, today we're talking to Matthew Allison, writer/penciller behind the upcoming comic series "Story". So, um, Matthew, kind of tell the listeners what this book is sort of, you know, about, so...

Matthew: Sure. As we were discussing before we started to record I'm a huge fan of television, movies, comic books and music, but mainly comic books. I also like graphic novels, which are adults only versions of comic books. The graphic novels I enjoy are the ones where characters get sick and die, talk about bowel movements, or spoon each other in bed. 

Toby: Yeah, like, me too. It's kind of, you know, like, real life stuff happening to larger than life humans, so...

Matt: Exactly. Like, what if Nova used "F" words or had a bowel movement. That sort of stuff. What I also like is to be reminded of things. You know when you watch something or read something and you're like "Hey! I've seen or heard that before!", you can maybe feel what you felt before, but again.

Toby: Sure, so...

Matt: Yeah. That's the best feeling, I think, to recognize something and remember it. You ever read Mark Millar's "Wolverine: Enemy of the State"?

Toby: Oh, yeah. I'm a huge X-Men fan, so...

Matt: The beginning of that story is exactly like the Kurosawa film HIGH AND LOW, and when I read it I was thinking, "Hey! I've seen this before!" and it was nice. Nice to remember. So, with my comics I just want people to have that same feeling. Like with Root Beast, people can look at him and not have to think so much because he's almost 100% like Swamp Thing or Man-Thing or The Heap. It makes it easy. 

Toby: Tell me about it. I like when comics remind me of movies or TV especially. So...

Matt: Yep. That's why I've given up Calamity of Challenge for a short time to write "Story". While Calamity is pretty much like every other superhero comic ever made I feel it doesn't incorporate enough TV and movie references. With "Story" I can string together all these ideas from other sources and thereby create something that is fresh yet familiar.

Toby: So, like, kind of tell our listeners what "Story" is kind of, you know, about. So...

Matt: It's essentially Romeo & Juliet, but in space, mixed with STAR WARS, How I Met Your Mother, and a Judd Apatow comedy where people poop and use "F" words and talk about pooping sometimes....Oh! And they have antlers.

Toby: Um...that sounds kind of like "Saga"...so...

Matt: Exactly. But I've added Nicola Tesla.

Toby: Brilliant! So...

No comments: